We all have them. You may start out the day with the blahs or maybe you start out and hit the ground running. But sometime during the day, you find that you are lagging and hopping from one thing to another to help you feel better. You may reach for: the TV remote; your phone to check texts or e-mails; a bag of Cheetos or for those chocolate Easter eggs you saved for Easter baskets for your children or grandchildren (NOT!). But, after you do that, you find you are still out-of-sorts and yes, maybe even a little depressed.
The good news is that you are AWARE of your emotions. You know that something is not quite right. You also are conflicted on what it will take to help you feel better. But, you want to change the way your are feeling–you want to TAKE ACTION. CONGRATULATIONS! But what is the right action to take?
There is something you can do that you have access to right now…and it’s easy. Stay with me. It is BREATHING. It’s not simply what you are doing while you are reading this, it is more intentional than that. What you need to do is slow down those out-of-control thoughts running circles around in your head. There is no better way to do it than by controlling your breath. When your mind is focused upon Intentional Breathing, it cannot think of anything else. When you are doing Intentional Breathing, you are also grounding your energy (and we are full of energy)!
Here are some Intentional Breathing options for you:
Miracle Moment (From Your Year of Miracles Training Program)
- Take a breath in and exhale making the expansive sound…aah. Continue making the sound of aah for about 10 seconds.
- Imagine a channel, a tube of energy, coming right down through your body like a waterfall.
- Take another breath in and exhale making the sound of ooh. Continue making the sound of ooh for about 10 seconds. This channels the energy down through your body.
- Take a breath in and exhale the sound of mmm for about 10 seconds. As you make the sound of mmm, feel the vibration in your mouth and in the back of your throat. This anchors the energy.
Maybe you can feel your spine or the base of your skull vibrating. That’s you starting to ground more in your body.
4×4 Breath Practice (From the book, Discover the Gift)
- Find a comfortable place to sit or lie down
- Keep your back straight
- Take four deep breaths
- Count to 4 as you inhale through your nose
- Count to 4 as you hold your breath
- Count to 4 as you exhale through your mouth
Pretend you are breathing through a straw:
- Inhale through the straw for 6 breaths
- Exhale out through the straw for 6 breaths
Continue doing this until you feel peaceful or grounded.
Also, please refer to the Meditations page on this website for more exercises you can do.